Belotero® – the “Integrative” Filler
Fine lines and superficial wrinkles have been a challenge to doctors for some time. Wouldn’t it be a relief to have a nice easy filler that takes on those little lines and makes them GONE? Well, we have that for you now.
New Belotero offers a safe, long lasting replacement solution to fine-line collagens injections. Belotero was developed by Anteis in Switzerland in 2005 and was later acquired by Merz Aesthetics. In the industry it is normally called Belotero but its full name is actually Belotero Balance.
What’s so “different” about Belotero?
Perfected for fine lines. The formulation is easily the most versatile hyaluronic gel for fine lines – and may become an equal competitor to the existing other HA gels for lip augmentation. Certainly it will be very useful for perioral lines (the vertical lines around the mouth) and small lines around the eyes that may not be treatable with a relaxer. Even the horizontal lines on the neck that seem to shout “old” are on the map with Belotero.
It’s easy to layer. The technology of Belotero makes it a perfect “top layer” filler to be placed over deeper fillers such as Radiesse or Perlane or Juvederm Ultra. These denser gels can provide instant volume while the Belotero can add the finesse to soften superficial wrinkles.
It doesn’t shout. If you have previously been treated with a dermal filler you will be surprised by the subtlety of the area treated with Belotero. Unlike other fillers, you are unlikely to feel the gel in the skin, but will certainly see the results. This makes it especially useful for patients who have delicate or thin skin.
How long does Belotero last?
The effect will depend on the individual and the area that has been treated. In clinical studies 66% of patients continued to show a visible improvement 9 months after a single treatment. As with other hyaluronic gels, a touch up treatment at 6 to 9 months helps maintain consistent effects.
Does the injection hurt?
Uniquely designed to flow through very fine needles, Belotero helps to reduce any discomfort that may be experienced with dermal filler injections. The integration with your own tissue and the easy biocompatibility means it is a very friendly product for the injector. In areas where you might be a little more sensitive we can inject a numbing solution or apply a topical numbing gel.
Will I feel the filler once it’s injected?
You are unlikely to feel the gel when you touch the treated area. A major appeal is the ability of this filler to mimic the feel of natural skin at very superficial depths. Belotero can be positioned towards the surface of your skin with no concern that the filler will be seen or felt.
Where can Belotero be used?
- Periorbital lines – Also known as “crow’s feet”, these lines can be reduced and smoothed in conjunction with a relaxer or as an alternative to a relaxer (think Botox, Dysport or Xeomin).
- Bridge of the nose- Soften the appearance of bumps or irregular contours of the nose
- Cheekbones – To regain the fullness of a youthful face, Belotero can be used alone or with a base of Radiesse or one of the denser hyaluronic gels.
- Nasolabial folds – The lines from the nose to the corner of the mouth, also known as laugh lines, can be the most noticeable of all lines of the face. They can be smoothed away and leave you with a subtle, even result with a combination of Radiesse and Belotero .
- Perioral lines – Sometimes called smoker’s lines. These lines are hereditary and frequently caused by puckering of the lips while speaking. You do not need to be a smoker to get them. They can be easily filled and softened with Belotero. Those patients who recall collagens will be happy to know there is a new treatment for these fine lines with no need for allergy testing and much-increased longevity.
- Vermillion border – This subtle feature of the border of your lips diminishes as you age causing that annoying lipstick ‘bleed’ and can be easily replenished with Belotero. This treatment instantly rejuvenates your lips. A tiny injection into the philtral columns restores a much more youthful look when combined with border treatment.
- Lips –The softness of Belotero makes it a perfect product for the lips.
- Marionette lines – These are lines from the corners of your mouth to your jaw. Treating these with Belotero can help to instantly provide a more energetic and pleasant expression.
- Backs of hands & décolletage – One of the tell-tale signs of aging is dryness and crêping of skin on the backs of your hands and the décolletage. The volume replacement and rehydration of the HA gel restores youthful suppleness.
Is it like Botox or other botulinum toxin treatment?
No, BELOTERO BALANCE acts in a totally different way. It fills in areas within the skin to reduce the depth of wrinkles, lines, and folds. The skin remains mobile and flexible, with a natural look, feel, and movement.
What is the difference between Belotero and other fillers?
BELOTERO BALANCE is a hyaluronic acid injectable filler designed to integrate into facial skin tissue. The unique manufacturing process for BELOTERO BALANCE yields a soft and cohesive gel that, once injected, instantly fills the skin to help smooth moderate-to-severe etched-in lines and wrinkles. While the product is versatile enough to handle moderate nasolabial folds (smile lines around the mouth), it may be an ideal option for treating delicate areas such as etched-in smile lines and vertical lip lines (thin lines that appear above and around the lips).
When can I expect to see results?
Immediately upon treatment, BELOTERO BALANCE helps smooth etched-in lines and wrinkles, such as vertical lip lines above and around your lips.
How long does Belotero last?
Individual results may vary, but BELOTERO BALANCE may last about 6 months or more. Some factors that affect how long it lasts are the amount of product used and the area it is injected into. In areas that experience a lot of movement due to eating, talking, and smiling, the product may not last as long as other less active areas.
How much Belotero do I need?
Just as wrinkles and folds vary from face to face, so does the amount of BELOTERO BALANCE needed per treatment. It’s very individual—it depends on the amount of correction desired, the number of areas to be treated, and other factors. We will be able to estimate once you have a consultation about your individual needs.
Does it hurt?
It does hurt very briefly just like any other injection. As with all injectable treatments, there can be discomfort associated with the procedure. If you have concerns, discuss them with your healthcare provider, because there are effective ways to manage this during treatment.
What is Belotero made of?
BELOTERO BALANCE is made of a substance called hyaluronic acid (HA), a natural component of skin. HA binds to water, making it an ideal product for correcting wrinkles and folds, as it binds with the skin’s own water. The HA in BELOTERO BALANCE is specially formulated in a proprietary process to create a uniquely smooth and cohesive gel. This injectable gel blends into the natural structure of your skin, gently filling etched-in lines and wrinkles and creating a smooth, natural look and feel.
Is Belotero safe?
BELOTERO BALANCE is FDA approved and clinically proven safe and effective. Hyaluronic acid products for wrinkle correction have been available for a long time and used in thousands of treatments. With any injectable product there are certain risks but we take several safeguards to minimize your risks and maximize your results.
What are some of the side effects of Belotero?
It’s rare to see any type of problem with injectables but the company that makes Belotero warns of possible side effects. The most common local side effects seen with BELOTERO BALANCE were swelling, bruising, redness, hardening of the skin, pain, altered color or itching. Other side effects that have occurred with BELOTERO BALANCE include headache, swelling of the side of the nose, moderate cold sore, lip numbness, and lip dryness. Side effects were often mild to moderate and often resolved within 7 days. Delayed reactions such as lumps and pumps can form. Injectables such as Belotero can take some time to show their full effect or result.
When should Belotero not be used?
Belotero Balance should not be used in patients who have:
- severe allergies marked by a history of hypersensitivity to foods or medicines.
- severe allergies to gram-positive bacteria.
Belotero Balance should not be implanted into:
- bone, tendon, ligament, or muscle
- blood vessels because it may block blood flow.
How can I find out more about Belotero?
Call Arizona Facial Plastics at 480-991-6877 or visit NVPSAZ.com for more information.
*Results may vary. These results are not guaranteed.